Disability Services

5 boxes span horizontally - images of universal disability symbols

Are you an adult student with a disability? If yes, you have a right to reasonable accommodations according to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Under federal law, a disability is a physical or mental condition that substantially limits one or more major life activity. Here are some examples of reasonable accommodations:

  • Extra time for testing
  • Frequent breaks
  • Private work area
  • Interpreters
  • Alternate test formats (Braille or large print)
  • Assistive devices (tape recorder, magnifier, calculator, etc.)

Legally, your teacher and other school staff CANNOT ask you if you have a disability. If you want help, you must first self-identify. Please follow these steps:

  1. Let the school know about your disability and your need for accommodations
  2. Fill out PBCSD Form 2404 and give it to your school’s coordinator
  3. Show proof (medical documentation) of your disability

Typically, a meeting or conference is held with the student once he or she has medical documentation of the disability. If needed, a 504 Plan may be written in order to detail the specific accommodations and strategies to implement for the student. 

It is important to let your school know as soon as possible if you have ever had or think you might now have a disability that affects your learning or classroom performance. Adult students with documented disabilities are protected under the law and do have a right to accommodations in instruction and in testing.